How can we reject Islam as the evil that it is, yet love Muslims?
Our response as followers of Jesus must never be that of the world. We are not to be Muslim-bashers or hateful toward an entire group of people. We must not fall into Islam’s error–lumping all “Kafir” into the same basket. Nor should we dehumanize Muslims as Islam does the “people of the Book”–Jews and followers of Jesus.
Just because one woman is immoral is no reason to say that all women must be immoral. Just because a dentist lies to a patient, does not mean that all dentists lie to their patients. Generalization with regard to people-groups is “all or nothing thinking”–which is always a cognitive distortion–a lie.
So . . . How can we love Muslims?
1. Understand that they are people whom Yahweh (the living God) loves deeply. He loves them so deeply that He gave His Son for them. Jesus died to set all people everywhere free from bondage to religions and bondage to sin. Only when they are free from their rules, regulations, predjuces, and hatred can they truly experience that love. We must demonstrate His love toward them as individuals and people who, like us, desperately need a Savior.
2. Realize that many do not know their own religion. Experts in Islam say that the majority of Muslims do not know Islam. They are in bondage to what others have told them about their religion. We should foster a growing awareness that many Muslims do not truly know or understand their own theology. Fewer still know the history of Islam and the Ottoman empire.
The same is the case for many who attend or practice various religions. Few really ever can spell out just what it is they believe. Fewer still understand more than the basics of their theology. Fewer still know the history of their faith or religion. When all this is taken together, it’s more than understandable that many Muslims do not know what Islam believes or where it originated. Ask ten Muslims who “Allah” is and you will probably get ten different answers.
Many people would argue, fight, and die for their misunderstandings rather than invest the time to learn what their faith really teaches. Jihadists have taken the time to understand who Mohammad is and what the Qu’ran really teaches at its core. They are the faithful of their religion. They are the ones who are living the life of the prophet to its fullest. They are simply living out what the Qu’ran (Koran) really teaches.
In the same respect, Jesus taught and lived certain things. Only those who really know the Lord and understand what he lived and taught are true disciples of his (1 Jn. 2:4-6). The great majority of “CHristians” are clueless. Jesus said that their end will be shocking to them (Mt. 7:21-23).
The problem with Islam is that once you know what’s it’s really all about, you either have to embrace it as truth and live the life of the true jihadists or depart from it altogether. There is only middle ground for the nominal and the uninformed–those who deny the Prophet Mohammed and his book. That’s why terrorists see NO ONE besides themselves as true believers. “Peaceful” Muslims are apostates in their eyes for they have rejected an absolute of the faith–jihad. Genuine Muslims are seeing Islam as it really is and they recognize–and disdain–those who water down the faith and life of Muhammad.
Islam produces oppression, bondage, a low view of human life, murder, lies, everything that Jesus came to put an end to. Yet, I have a cousin who is a Muslim. She is kind, compassionate, peace-loving, and open to Jesus. How can that be? Simple . . . she does not really know what she has embraced.
So we can love Muslims because many just want to live their lives free of all the religious demands and enjoy life and liberty with a minimum of moral constraint. So most Muslims do not support or agree with the terrorist/jihadist. They see jihad as an inner, spiritual struggle. They are not likely a threat to anyone except the fundamental Muslim who would just as soon wipe them out as anyone else. AND if the jihadists ever do get in power, you can see what their reign will be like by looking at the nations where they hold power. Their track-record is not hidden unless your head is in the sand.
Want Islam, then look at those nations and you’ll see what you’re asking for. Look at what’s happening to Europe and you’ll see what pure, fundamental, true to its roots Islam produces and encourages. Islam is a religion of hate and murder. That’s why I warn two groups: the body of Christ, and Muslims who don’t agree with fundamental, historic Islam and believe their religion is a religion of “peace.”
3. Realize that there is spiritual reality behind Islam. Islam is not just a religion. Islam has a religious arm. But it is primarily a weltanschauung (worldview–a way of life) that embraces the whole. It is a political, economic, sociological, and religious way of life. Behind it stand spiritual realitites. Islam is the movement of spiritual principalties in the heavenly places (Eph. 6.12). It’s God, Allah (in Hebrew–The Destroyer) is a God of hatred, revenge, murder and lies. He is the beast empowered by the Dragon, spoken of in our Book of Revelation. That means that demonic power presents it, props it up, and keeps it going. Many, not all, of its leaders are unwittingly empowered by spiritual beings.
A striking analogy is that of Adolf Hitler and his Third Reich. I have studied the Occult roots of the Third Reich and Hitler’s ascendency to power. I can’t tell you the times I’ve heard someone say, “How did he get so powerful?” “How could anyone have believed or followed him?”
Generally speaking, rational, western people do not try to understand spiritual realities. They have been educated in a dysfunctional, anti- supernatural taxonomy. Demonic power cannot be understood rationally, because it’s irrational–it’s spiritual, demonic.
The supernatural cannot be known or understood by the natural or carnal mind. God alone can open the mind to understand the spiritual. The Bible says it this way:
“The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14, ESV)
The way I know an apple tree is not by the seed or the leaves or the bark on the tree. I know an apple tree because, every fall it produces APPLES–not bananas or grapes. The tree produces its own fruit. Jesus said that you’ll know false leaders by their character. You’ll know their source by their behavior–their actions (Mt. 7:15-20). Hitler’s behavior, his kingdom was darkness, evil, and antisemitic.
Look around. What does Islam produce? Subscribe to some of the world watchdog news services that monitor Islam’s fruit–darkness, evil, human rights violations, and antisemitism. Muslim leaders hate the Jews (and Christians). Their organizations use our freedoms and rights to renounce and displace “people of the Book” (Bible). If Allah attacks God’s people, then he is not God. He is God’s enemy.
Listen to those who WERE Muslims. They have something to teach the politically correct, and supernaturally naive. Their lives are now threatened because they have departed from the faith. Listen to their insider view of Islam. They are educated people who have had the light bulb turn on for them. Listen carefully to what they say. They will tell you what spirit lies behind Islam. Listen to the warning voices. Listen to Islam’s own agenda and those experts who understand it.
Jesus said, that anyone who TRULY wants to know the truth will come to know it (1 Timothy 2:2-4). Those who don’t want to hear have covered their ears and don’t want truth. They have no place for God in their hearts, because they have believed their father, the father of lies (Jn. 8:42-47). Muslims who are serious about Islam serve the beast-god who is in rebellion against the One True God–Yahweh–the God of Heaven and earth.
The way we love Muslims must flow out of our understanding of the deep, spiritual bondage in which they are locked. The deception that has taken them captive, requires a revelation of the love of God. That is the ONLY thing that will set the captive free (Isa. 61:1-3).
4. Treat Muslims the way you would want to be treated by them. Would you want to be accepted? Accept them (as individuals). Would you want to receive kindness? Be kind to them. Would you want to be free, allow them freedom (as long as they do not use that freedom to put you, your children, and grandchildren in bondage). Would you want to be included? Include them. Pray for them. Care for them. Share what you have with them.
Include them as you fellowship with other believers. Jesus said that as we love our Christian brothers and sisters, ALL people (including Muslims) will KNOW that you are my disciples.
If you are a follower of Jesus, you are to love ALL men and women. Muslims are NOT OUR ENEMIES. Satan is. His bondage and slavery are our enemies. Islam is our enemy. Muslims need to see the love of God. They already see enough hatred. Let’s not participate in the spirit that animates their religion.
I choose to love Muslims, by sharing the Truth with them. Won’t you join me?
QUESTION: How do YOU think we should respond to Muslims?
- Christians under siege in post-revolution Egypt (sfgate.com)
- Action Steps for “Peaceful” Muslims (davidcalves.com)
- Our Culture Invites Self-destruction (davidcalves.com)