Psalm 83:1–4 (ESV)
1 O God, do not keep silence; do not hold your peace or be still, O God! 2 For behold, your enemies make an uproar; those who hate you have raised their heads. 3 They lay crafty plans against your people; they consult together against your treasured ones. 4 They say, “Come, let us wipe them out as a nation; let the name of Israel be remembered no more!”
Are YOU an enemy or a friend of God? Notice that the “enemies” of God–“those who hate” Him and have become proud are described in verse 3 and 4 as those who:
- work crafty plans against his people
- consult against his “treasured ones”
- Those plans intend to “wipe them out as a nation”
- to erase Israel’s memory from the earth
Ring a bell yet?
The Psalmist wrote Psalm 83 over 2500 years ago. He wrote about the nations surrounding Israel sometime around 590 BC. Yet, he could have been writing last week. Asaph’s soul was distressed at the constant hatred aimed at Israel.
Have you wondered at the constant hatred of the world against the Jews–against Israel–God’s people? What possesses those who so blindly hate? What is the source of antisemitism? How is it that its sources are so many? Islam, National Socialism, ne0-Nazis, Communists, occultists, all hate the Jews. Israel’s only friends are the followers of Jesus Christ and righteous people who are friends of Jesus. Notice, I did not say Christians. That’s because not all who have historically called themselves “Christians” were friends. Nor are some of those who today call themselves “Christians.”
My post entitled, Churchianity versus Christianity, , explains the difference between some streams of Christianity and the followers or disciples of Jesus. Even today, some “orthodox” believers in various countries persecute those disciples of Jesus who actually have a relationship with Christ. This too is an age old struggle–those born of the slave woman versus those born of the free woman (an allusion to the “Letter to the Galatians”). Jesus said that you will know the true believers by their fruit–the content of their character and their actions as defined by God’s Word–the Bible.
The Bible says that at the time Jesus returns Israel will again be surrounded by her enemies. Those enemies will hate her and want to end her existence. The reason this hateful antisemitism has outlasted many generations of humans is that antisemitism is spiritual, not merely human. The enemy of God, Satan, has always hated God’s people. And until he is finally destroyed by the power of God through his sons and daughters, and ultimately the direct intervention of the Messiah, Satan will continue to hate–not only the Jews, but all who support her and are friends to Israel. Satan’s hatred of God is why Evangelicals and many Catholics suffer a similar hatred and persecution. Satan hates what God loves. Not much is written about those Evangelicals and Catholics who suffered in Nazis concentration camps. Occasionally you hear of someone who has heard of Corrie Ten Boom or Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Many are the believers who have been beheaded for their faith in Christ at the hands of Mohammad and his evil religion. History has no shortage of Satan’s victims.
Make no mistake about this: I am not saying that all of any group are righteous or unrighteous. Human beings are simply the channels of spirits. We are either animated by the Holy Spirit of God or we are animated by the spirit of Satan. The Bible says that there is no middle ground. God is your source or Satan is your source. You are serving one or the other, either passively or actively. But you are serving. Bob Dylan wrote the song, “You Gotta Serve Somebody.” The lyrics make it clear that you are a servant of one or the other–of God’s kingdom or Satan’s.
Jesus said those who are not for me are against me. If you are not active for Jesus, the Son of the living God, then you are active against him. If you are against Him, then you are against the One he claimed as Abba–Father. If you are not for Jesus, then you are opposed to Yahweh. For Yahweh is the One who testifies that Jesus is His Right Hand of authority and power–His Unique Son. Allah has no Son. This is how you know that Allah and Yahweh are not the same God. Therefore Allah is NO god.
At another time, Jesus said that those who are not against Him are for Him. This is more passive. If you are not actively opposing Him, then you are not channeling Satan’s spirit. Understand that the way a person opposes Jesus is to deny who He claims to be. Opposing Jesus is being hateful toward those he loves. So if you are not hateful and mean spirited toward his followers or to the Jewish people, then you are “for Him.”
The Psalmist’s solution to the antisemitism of his day was to ask God to send upon Israel’s enemies the terrors and shame of being God’s enemies . . . SO
Psalm 83:18 (ESV) — 18 that they may know that you alone, whose name is the Lord [heb. יהוה ], are the Most High over all the earth.
We want God’s enemies to come to know Him. To let go of their false gods of the pagan world and come into a relationship to the One true and living God–Yahweh [heb. יהוה ].
Are you a friend of God or His enemy? Which spirit works through your life?
QUESTION: What can we do to defeat the spirit behind antisemitism? What are YOU doing?
©2011, David C Alves
- Why I Despise “Religion“
- Clash of Kingdoms: Allah versus Yahweh – Part 1
- Clash of Kingdoms: Allah versus Yahweh – Part 2
As I was reading posts and articles regarding France, I was struck by three thoughts.
1. Our American youth who fought for France in WW II died for nothing. Those brave men who died on the Normandy beaches and in the little towns in France paid the highest price so that France could turn its back on God and pursue the freedom of demeaning people of faith. Interestingly, they are embracing the values of their WW II enemies. France was our longtime friend. The French helped us in our fight for freedom. They gave us lady Liberty–our famous Statue of Liberty.
We saved France from Hitler. Ironic how now they’ve turned and embraced him from the grave. Even to the point that many of them don’t believe that the Nazis murdered anyone. I wish some of the members of their heroic French Underground were still alive, and that their stories were valued. That brings us to point two.
2. Perhaps, since France wants to be a secular nation, all people of sincere faith and belief should leave France. Let them have their Godless society and see how long it lasts. I know one thing, I for one will not be buying French products. I’m standing with those who value the American and FRENCH blood shed to save them from the horror of the Nazis Third Reich. I’m standing with the followers of Christ and believing Jews who face ridicule and public humiliation for their faith.
3. France’s famed patriots–the French Resistance–died for what? Their sacrifice disappears into the mist of history in the hearts and minds of France’s newest conceit. The French have always considered themselves as above normal humans elsewhere in the world, yet look how pride blinds an entire society. They are willing to devalue and forget the past; therefore, they’re assured to repeat it. And they are repeating it! Nazis swastikas and anti-semitic sayings can be found everywhere. The authorities at least are fair, they don’t single out any particular faith, they despise ALL faiths. Why did France bother with retribution against Nazis sympathizers following the great war? Today, those people would be heroes in France and could hold public office.
Remember this is the home of the French Revolution–you don’t like someone . . . Off with their heads! That’s a good reason that Islam will do well there. Only a matter of time. Only this time. Let’s not run off across the Atlantic Ocean to help the French–who seem no longer to value friendship with America. Let them enjoy their free choice. Let them enjoy the right to need no one and no God to stand with them. Let them stand alone. After all they’re still free to choose . . . for a little while longer. Only pity their patriots, especially the French Underground and all the young Frenchmen who paid the ultimate price for this generation’s sad and selfish choices.
- Payback (fansinaflashbulb.wordpress.com)